Huang Rong-can 1947-1952: Script in Progress by Mei Dean-E

Huang Rong-can 1947-1952 Movie Script: by Mei Dean-E
In Progress
Seriously intriguing and undiscovered period of Taiwan history








Mei Dean-E 梅丁衍:

WANTED DEAN-E MEI: A Retrospective

The Taiwanese artist Mei Dean-E and the concept of Chineseness


Huang Rong-can 黃榮燦;
(1920 – November 11/19? 1952) is the artist who created the print The Horrifying Inspection (恐怖的檢查) in the aftermath of the 228 Incident in Taiwan. He was born in Sichuan, Chongqing, and was a printmaker in Taiwan. He is recognised as Taiwan’s first Chinese left-wing woodcut printmaker.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
So here is the story and why I put a post in behalf of Professor Mei.

Mei, whom I have known for more than 30 years messaged me last night about my great grandfather 洪以南 and his connection with 卓鑫淼 - founder of Tunghua Bookstore 台灣東華書局, publisher of ‘The True Story of Ah Q’ - cover woodprint by Huang Rong-can. The book was translated into Japanese by Yang Kui whose grandson is Denise Wei - one of the student leaders in Sun Flower Movement (March 18, 2014 – April 10, 2014 ).

It gets quite intriguing as the conversations rolled on - first, there was next to nothing online info on 卓鑫淼. And the info on Tunghua bookstore was inconsistent and suspicious. Everything about this person and bookstore is just - suspicious. 

In fact, bit of a laugh, I did a cursory search on the related and found one interesting piece of info - Marco Polo Bread Limited  - founded by 卓鑫's wife in 1984. The second branch was in Shanghai a few years later. A new bakery seemingly with a dodgy past??

It soon began to read like a 007 spy movie plot! Is it not?!

So I asked - what exactly are you researching this for? 
"A MOVIE SCRIPT!!" - Mei replied and is writing a script based on research and facts. Still in progress, he is a perfectionist. Finish does not mean complete.

" So, you want to make a film out of it, right?" 
"Let me finish first.. we'll see. There are so many unanswered mysteries the more I studied, lots of events and people just don't add up. It's quite messy..."

The following is why I do this post in his behalf:

M: "Do you know I am the first person in Taiwan researching on Huang Rong-can?"
H (me): "I believe so, and in fact I have seen stuff you posted about him. Your in-depth information and knowledge of his life and on overall tragic life of artists during martial law is special. I have noticed that and always respect that"
M: "I can answer a lot of questions about him and about artist tragedy if anyone has questions.... actually..."
H: "Hmm, that's great and useful. Tell you what, I will just share your offer and service and if anyone has questions about Huang and the period, I collect questions and forward to you - and duly respond. Good or not?"
M: "Yes. Be happy to. Thank you! "





Comments

  1. Hello! I know this post is already four years old, but I was wondering if your friend can help me: I'm working on a documentary about the history of Taiwan. An important part will be the era of White Terror and we want to include Huang Rong-can's story. I'm now looking for photos of him. I have his woodcut and a photo of him before his execution. Others I found are not of good resolution. Where could I find those? Which archive keeps those? Could your friend point me in the right direction? Thank you!

    Frauke Levin/ Archival Producer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mongolian BBQ History Taiwan - Created by a Chinese Comedian 1951

Saartje Specx (17th Century Dutch-Japanese, Famous Prisoner Batavia, Wife of First Missionary Fromosa) and Her Grave by Pineapple Stretch

Sweet thirty hour stay - Taitung