My Grandfather and Lee Teng-hui

1978


2020 Criminal guilty verdicts of teachers and students of Yanping College revoked

Chu Chao-yang 朱昭陽(1903-2002)
Lee Teng-hui 李登輝 (1923-2020)

(13).  Retiring from the Cooperative Bank

I served as nine terms (Each term contained three years and my first term wasn’t a complete one.) of executive director since 1948 when I entered Cooperative Bank until 1974. The period lasted twenty-six years, over one fourth of a century.
When I firstly came to Cooperative Bank, the bank had only over one hundred clerks and the business was about one fourth of that of the “three commercial banks”. The number of clerks exceeded two thousand when I was to retire and the business also exceeded that of the three commercial banks.
The most comfort I felt about being in Cooperative Bank was I employed many university graduates, fostered and scouted talents and made able men coming forward in multitudes from the bank. Jing-chuan Wu, who used to serve as president of Chang Hwa Bank, and Yuan-tung Hsu, the present President of Taiwan Bank, were from Cooperative Bank. Even the present President Teng-hui Lee used to be a researcher in the bank. When he came back from America, Joint Committee on Rural Reconstruction (JCRR) tried to recruit him and for this sent a file to the bank. Board Chairman Lien-chun Lee asked me


“How do you think of Teng-hui Lee?”
“He is a capable man.” I replied.
“Keep him here if he is capable. Don’t let him go.”
“Let him go. He studies agriculture. JCRR is the right place for him.” suggested I.

This was how Teng-hui Lee’s life was changed. He later worked in JCRR and was promoted to be minister without portfolio, and Taipei City mayor, Taiwan Provincial governor and vice president and president. When he served as Taipei City mayor, I once went to City Hall to see him because of Yen Ping High School. When I arrived at the mayor’s office, I told the secretary that I’d like to see the mayor. The secretary asked me why I would like to see the mayor. I answered that I would consult the mayor about a school and the secretary replied “Mr. Mayor is having a meeting. You may talk directly to Education Department about school affairs.” At this moment, Teng-hui Lee heard my voice from inside and immediately went out to show me in. We talked for a while and had a good time. When I was leaving, he saw me off in person to the stairway. He was very kind.
I thought Cooperative Bank had a large assembly of men of talent and sound systems so the development of the business could be predicted. I was already seventy-one (There was no age limit for compulsory retirement then.) and it was about time for me to retire.
Originally, in addition to the post in Cooperative Bank, I had a part-time job in Tatung Institute of Technology[1] teaching finance and concurrently took charge of Yan Ping High School. In 1966, I resigned my post in Tatung Institute of Technology. Now I planned to resign the post as executive director in Cooperative Bank to focus my efforts on Yen Ping.



[1] Now upgraded to Tatung University



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mongolian BBQ History Taiwan - Created by a Chinese Comedian 1951

Saartje Specx (17th Century Dutch-Japanese, Famous Prisoner Batavia, Wife of First Missionary Fromosa) and Her Grave by Pineapple Stretch

Sweet thirty hour stay - Taitung