Pastries Story- Superimpose Taiwanese Traditional Sun Cake Over Taiwanese-American Recreated Cookie

TAIYANG (SUN) 
SYMBOLISM OF DEMOCRACY


Original Sun Cake Logo Banned For Twenty-Five Years
臺陽 represents Taiwan Sun 太陽 and the famous 'Sun Cake' 太陽餅 (which plays a role in the Sunflower student movement) original logo created by Yen Shui-long 顏水龍 (1903-1997) at Taichung Taiyang bakery 太陽堂. 

More Taiyang details see 'Becoming Taiwanese' post  
HERE.


Sun Cookies - Win Son Recreation (Page 247)

Vibrant-colors covers and photos!

Flipping pages of  the complimentary Win Son presents A Taiwanese American Cookbook (My contribution is on page 222 'Taiwanese Food History'),  I was drawn to a Sun Cookie recipe and development - how it ended up looking and tasting nothing like the original in Taiwan -  white, flaky, hidden-syrup and a childhood snack enjoyed soaked in milk. 

I messaged Trigg Brown, he explained, shortly afterwards I told him I could expand and I could superimpose the original.

"You're blowing my mind" says Trigg.

I told him their recreation either in color, or pine nut roll-up filling actually is a close resemblance of the original 'Sun' symbolism designed by a prominent Taiwanese artist Yen Shui-long.

The Sun symbolism for democracy was banned for twenty-five years during martial-law era.  To explore Taiyang bakery history, you can visit the museum in Taichung where you will be greeted with a sunflower representing the museum.


Original logos and packaging

全安堂 Pharmacy
Predecessor of Taiyang bakery museum building

" Place a Win Son Sun Cookie on Sunflower petals and show it to me!" - I said to Trigg. I will upload and update here when that happens!

PS 
On Chiang Kai-Shek - always bear in mind he meant to stay only temporarily. 'Taipei a Superimposition of a China Map' - see HERE.





 












<Taiwan Pastry Story - a Sun (symbolism of democracy) that was buried for half a century>

From 'Win Son Taiwanese American Cookbook' recreation of a Taiwanese 'Sun Cake' to Taiwan's hard-earned democracy. 
Scanning through this newly arrived cookbook, a 'Sun cookie' recipe strikes me quite interesting.
It looks nothing like the traditional white flaky pastry tai-yang-bing made in Taiwan. 
I messaged Trigg and he explained to me the ideas behind the recreation. 
** But I have yet to tell him their recreation either in colour, or pinenut filling actually is a lot closer to the original 'Sun' symbolism designed by a prominent Taiwanese painter. 
The 'Sun' symbolism created was banned for 50 years during martial law era. (I mentioned that on a blogpost linked below). **
Today if you are interested in the pastry history, there is a museum to visit in Taichung.

太陽餅博物館前身-全安堂

2. Taipei a Superimposition of a China MapT

https://katyhuiwenhung.blogspot.com/2019/03/show-and-tell-no1-2-smangus-and-china.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mongolian BBQ History Taiwan - Created by a Chinese Comedian 1951

Saartje Specx (17th Century Dutch-Japanese, Famous Prisoner Batavia, Wife of First Missionary Fromosa) and Her Grave by Pineapple Stretch

Sweet thirty hour stay - Taitung