Taipei You Might Not Know -Superimposition, Russian Bakery, and Derogatory Dihua

 1. Taipei a Superimposition of a China Map


At Xinsheng South, Heping East Intersection means I am in Zhejiang Province, with Jinhua (street), its capital city in 7 o'clock position. 

When I say to people "Wow - Taipei is actually a China map!" Almost all of them, including foreigners say "why are you surprised? I always know that, there are many street names changed to China's after 1949". 

I say "NO. I mean Taipei IS a China Map!" - still many don't get it.  

I have therefore, at opportunities, take peoples up this overhead bridge in my neighborhood, and show them EXACTLY what I mean. They all went a bit shocked hearing me out - including Taipei locals.

It is complicated to explain, I will just brief it here. The best way, is still, show and explain  from the bridge.

 I first noticed this 'dictator manipulative mentality' some 10 years ago when I was walking along Dihua street, I suddenly thought 

"this is strange, all these street names are exactly the same position of China West and Northwest".

One day, at Da'an forest park neighborhood, I suddenly thought "this is weirder and weirder, because I have Jinhua, I have Wenzhou ... I am in Zhejiang! Then I have Fuzhou, Xiamen, Quanzhou in the South, and that is Fujian! Bingo!"



I was first told by a historian friend that he had consulted 
Lung Yingtai in her "Big River, Big Sea — Untold Stories of 1949" 
on a number of places. And he told me Lung mentioned the phenomenon but not in details. 


I soon found that Taipei city plan was made/designed by a Shanghai architect called 鄭定邦 first Taipei trip in 1946. And  this article with in details by The News Lens 羅元 祺.   https://www.thenewslens.com/article/84037






2. SHANGHAI-TAIPEI -  Photos Shanghai 2019





I did research on Astoria Cafe for the culinary book and I had always thought next time in Shanghai, I must go to the original Astoria location. 

It is no longer there, I know, but having spent quite a bit of time researching and enjoying it, I wanted to go and see. So earlier in 2019, I did. 

The original road where first Astoria located was named after Joseph Joffre

Astoria Taipei was on Wuchang Road, by Chongqing South Road. The Presidential area is of course, Sichuan Chongqing. 

This is the testimonial part! I noticed that original Astoria Shanghai location ALSO situated on/by Chongqing South Road!! 


3. Origin 啟迪教化 - Cultivate and Enlighten the Uncivilized.

'Dihua' a derogatory racist term  (to Xinjiang/Mongolia) used in Ming - Qing dynasty - banned, renamed and rectified in China continues in Dadaocheng Taipei since Chiang KS.

By ignorant or disinterest- Derogatory 'Dihua' remains one of most promoted and popular tourist street in Taipei.

Dihua in China has been changed to Ürümqi where it belongs in 1954.

"Upon completing the expansion, the Qing renamed the city Dihua (Chinese: 迪化; previously romanized as "Tihwa"), which literally means "to enlighten and civilize". Believing the name "Dihua" to be belittling and ethnically chauvinist, the Chinese Communist Party restored the name "Ürümqi" on 1 February 1954" (wikipedia)

4. Kweisui Street 歸綏街 Naturalization

Another politically incorrect (racist ) place name used in Ming to Qing dynasty discontinued and renamed in China cynically continues in Dadaocheng Taipei since Chiang KS is Kweisui Street 歸綏街.

Kweisui 歸綏 inner Mongolia capital in origin means naturalization (Han-zation) (歸化).

Kweisui in China has been changed to Hohhot /Khökh kho (in its original Mongolia meaning ) also in 1954.

( ps In 1956, Mao gave minority  people a new name after accepting  people appeal that  is respectful referring to primitive barbarians. The new name is  means  prosperous society.)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mongolian BBQ History Taiwan - Created by a Chinese Comedian 1951

Saartje Specx (17th Century Dutch-Japanese, Famous Prisoner Batavia, Wife of First Missionary Fromosa) and Her Grave by Pineapple Stretch

Sweet thirty hour stay - Taitung