(#tau-people 人-IN) (Proto) Malayo-Polynesian from Indonesia (Part II)
Papua Tanah Damai translates from Indonesian to "Papua, Land of Peace."
In the context of Austronesian languages, tanah means "land," "earth," or "soil". It traces back to the Proto-Malayic word *tanah, which evolved from the Proto-Malayo-Polynesian *tanəq .
In Malay and Indonesian, damai means "peace" or "tranquility". It traces back to the Proto-Austronesian word damay, meaning "peace, empathy, or harmony".
1. Root word for peanut
land, soil, earth, ground - 土. 土豆 (peanut)
![]() |
These two set of analysis are questionable (under-analysed), especially the first one - loanwords diversity, not grammatical development. |
| Siraya revitalization (K.A. Adelaar) |
2. Possible linguistic connection - people of the land, the soil. #tau - IN - 人- people (1930s Japanese report)
Slit Drum (Austronesian) - which I saw almost on a daily basis during the entire trip in Java Indonesia (a variety of sizes). I suspect a connection with indigenous 'weaving box' - Atayal, Saisiyat etc. I have read or heard stories of the 'weaving box' versatile functions on a number of occasions - SIMILAR traditions.
Skin Drum (Polynesian) - I saw Hawaii's and Easter Island's.
Putu Indonesia (SE Asia) (Sanskrit meaning steam)
Putu (also spelled phuthu) is a crumbly, traditional South African maize-meal porridge. Its name and preparation method derive directly from the isiZulu word
uphuthu (meaning a stiff, crumbly porridge) and the Afrikaans putu.
Historically, the term is believed to share linguistic and cultural roots with the South Indian Tamil and Malay word puttu, which refers to a similar steamed, crumbly rice dish. (wikipedia)
(Proto) Malayo-Polynesian from Indonesia (Part I) HERE.
.jpeg)





.jpeg)
.jpg)



Comments
Post a Comment